I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a Happy New Years. I know it’s been a productive one for me. Over the winter break, I added a new feature to the NaviSet Transfer plugin.
You can now export an XML file containing all of your selection sets provided they belong to a Revit file. This can be handy because Navisworks only exports XML files of search sets natively. It works exactly how you might imagine it to:
You run the plugin just as you did before, but this time you click the checkbox “Also create Set XML”, and it will produce an XML file that you can import into Navisworks later, just as you would a search set XML file.
A possible downside is that especially large imported sets could take a while to select because when they’re brought in, they’re treated like search sets (by searching for each individual object by ID number). But this can be mitigated by saving them as selection sets again after they’re selected.
The update is available now for new users and also in the link provided to you by Paypal when you purchased the plugin. If you’ve lost it and I haven’t emailed you about the release yet, feel free to contact me by leaving a comment below.
I have re-compiled the plugins for Navisworks 2016, and verified that the scripts function in 3ds Max 2016. To download your update, revisit the download page given in the post-purchase link. If you lost it, email me using the contact information I provided with the old plugins.
Well, the important part anyway. I’m still working on the Timeliner plugin. You can animate construction sequences in Max without it though. Just remember to open the Timeliner tab and click “Export to Sets” before running NaviSet Transfer. After that, it’s just a matter of making your Timeliner based sets show up (or disappear) in the order that they’re supposed to.
The tool is best suited for people with intermediate experience using 3D Studio Max and Navisworks. In Max, you will want to know how to set animation keys, use the renderer, and run scripts. In Navisworks, you will want to know how to work with Revit files, create sets, and use the Timeliner.
This report is actually a month old, but I’m resuming work on it so I figured I’d go ahead and talk about it.
Since completing Breakspace a while back, I’ve felt kinda blue about game development. I had fun making it, but the game itself was kinda boring and not very popular. I thought I’d have better luck making something I’d like to play. I enjoyed Mario 64 a lot, so I decided to make a 3D platformer, but with the player in the role of the monster instead of the hero.
I had quite a few false starts. Here they are in order:
Drawn before I had an idea to make him a game character, he was a poor fit for any player, with a monster face and a boring “wife-beater” body design.
Nothing interesting here except maybe the face. I didn’t even know what clothes to put on him. It was all poorly executed and I knew I’d have to start over.
First meaningful game character concept for Roddy. He’s a barbarian, 800 pounds of muscle, fur, and hatred, and he’s about to meet something even worse than himself.
Something was lost in translation due to the “Oooo zBrush” factor. I kinda swore away zBrush after this for the project. I need to avoid getting lost in detail.
Fat cartoony and simple, this was the 3rd version. I don’t like it, but it was a good jumping point for further concepting.
This is where I left off a month ago. Life stuff happened, I got distracted. Now I’m trying to pick it up again. No zBrush this time! I don’t need the temptation. What I’m going for is the 3d cartoon look anyway.
I’ve updated the material converter script. The old script was made in April 2011, and supported the Architectural materials that existed then. But as development of Revit and Max continued, new material types were added, and the script didn’t know how to account for those. So you would have situations where if you use something like a painted metal, the script wouldn’t do anything to it, and on export to Blender it would be one of the unnamed mystery materials that we wanted to avoid in the first place.
This script will not try to account for every material type. Instead, regardless of material, it will apply Standard and give a random color. Like the previous script, it will generate multiple materials with the same name but different colors. This error will be fixed upon OBJ export from Max, so if you just want to standardize your materials, export and import the OBJ after running the script.
If you want to bring the model into Blender, even though Blender now supports FBX – export to OBJ anyway. Like Max, FBX supports multiple materials with the same name and different colors. OBJ does not, and will combine all the multiples.
A model converted from Revit to Max to Blender. Notice that there are no duplicate materials.
I’ll see about fixing that moving forward. Until then, the workflow is unchanged, and you have a slightly better script.
That workflow is:
Export from Revit to FBX
Import FBX to 3DSMax
Drag and drop script onto scene, this will automatically run the script